MONTH BY MONTH DETAILS:
- Held Martin Luther King Jr. Human Rights Community Breakfast at Moscow Middle School. This was the first time this event was held in-person since the pandemic, and it was also live-streamed. Topic: Human Rights and Building Community. Speaker Dr. Scott Finnie, Eastern Washington University. Dr. Finnie also gave the keynote Martin Luther King address for the University of Idaho
- Sponsored workshop discussion by Dr. Finnie for Moscow High School and Palouse Creek Regional High School students.
- Rosa Parks Human Rights Achievement Award presented to Darrell Kiem, Executive and Founding Director of the Latah Recovery Center, and Youth Award to Eli Jones, Moscow H.S. student who served on MHS Human Rights Club, Human Rights Task Force and Moscow Human Rights Commission.
- Helped sponsor and promote Black History Month film, “We Are Black.”
- Ten awards were presented by Mayor Art Bettge at a special ceremony at 1912 Center to grades 1 -12 winners of the Martin Luther King Jr. Art & Essay Contest, whose theme
was Valuing Community.
- Completed plaque listing names of past Moscow H.S. recipients of Youth Rosa Parks Awards. Plaque will be continuously displayed at Moscow H.S. and updated annually.
- One of sponsors of “Hate in Idaho” documentary and discussion program put on by Latah County Historical Society at Kenworthy PCA, March 15.
- First UI Black Excellence Ball recognized the Task Force with the Best of Black Advocate Award. Task Force Vicechair Steve Daley Laursen received Best Ally and Got Your BAAC Awards.
- Held Task Force Retreat for future planning. Discussed ways to broaden and diversify membership and developed nine community awareness and service items for future work.
- Hosted a table with children’s activities at Juneteenth Celebration at Friendship Square.
- Sponsored Great Moscow Food Drive at Farmers Market and East City Park. Donated collected food and household goods to Moscow Food Bank and Westside Food Pantry, and funds: $2,000 to Moscow Food Bank, $2,000 to Westside Food Pantry and $1,000 to Weekend Food for Kids.
- Sponsored booth with a Pride Flag making activity at Palouse Pride Rally held at East City Park. August 26.
- Took part in University of Idaho Women’s Center FEMfest.
- Sponsored Human Rights Day at the Market with information and displays on topic of Freedom of Expression: Celebrating our Libraries. Included drawing for free human rights books for youth, community thank you notes written to Moscow Public Library and information about history of libraries and services they provide. Collected community engagement comments about HB 314.
- Sponsored three Living Voices presentations: one at Lena Whitmore Elementary School for 170 students, and two programs at Genesse Elementary School for 195 students.
- Helped sponsor Pro-Voice-Project, “Our Voices; Our Choices,” drama and discussion, at Kenworthy PAC. October 15.
- Developed and distributed prompts to Latah Schools for Martin Luther King Art and Essay Contest 2024 on the topic of Freedom of Expression: Celebrating our Libraries.
- Distributed requests for nominations for 2024 Rosa Parks Human Rights Achievement Awards.
- Met with Dr. Sydney Freeman to discuss future collaborations and programs regarding the Black Research Institute for Flourishing and Thriving (BRIFT)
- Approved new Task Force Affiliate Member category to expand and diversify organization membership.
- Worked with Mario Pile, director of UI Black/African American Cultural Center on plans for Martin Luther King Human Rights Community Breakfast 2024.
- Distributed information for upcoming 2024 Martin Luther King Human Rights Community Breakfast.